Three useful maps for sc2012 visitors:
- Google map of the sc2012 locations around London
- Printable map of New Cross (weekend workshop venue) with local information
- Printable map of Mile End (conference & art venues) with local information
The events are spread across East and South London, so our best-located hotel suggestions (see map, below) are:
- City Hotel(12-20 Osborn Street, London E1 6TE)
- City Hotel can offer sc2012 people a 10% discount. You need to EMAIL the hotel with arrival/departure dates and the code “sc2012″. You will need to provide card details to secure the reservation.
- Ibis London City Hotel (5 Commercial Street, E1 6BF)
Possibly slightly cheaper (?) is Goodenough Club (WC1N 2AB) in central London. It provides accommodation for university/nonprofit events (so – tell them you’re coming for this event), quoted at the following rates (including internet and breakfast) subject to availability:
- Single room – £100 per night
- Superior Single – £125 per night
- Double or Twin – £145 per night
- Triple Room – £175 per night
- Quadruple Room – £200 per night
- Garden Suite – £215 per night
Some other hotel suggestions (see map, below):
Cheaper and cheerful:
- Generator Hostel London (WC1H 9SE) – from £15/£20 per night – based in central London, and party-friendly
(All these accommodations are shown on the map below)
Getting to London
Arrive at any of the mainline London train stations (Euston, Paddington, Kings Cross…) and then get the underground train (“tube”). Allow about an hour to get across London once you’ve arrived at the mainline station.
Driving is not particularly recommended…
We can’t offer parking near the venues, and parking in London can be expensive — but ask your accommodation if they have parking available.
Also be aware that there is a charge for driving into central London (the congestion charge) which you would need to pay if you go into the central zone. Most of the venues are outside this central zone, but not all.
Getting around London
See the Transport for London website, tfl.gov.uk for maps and searchable timetables.
It’s a good idea to get an Oyster card, for bus and train transport in London – follow this link for the Visitor Oystercard.
The venues are in travel zones 1 and 2 – so if you buy a travel card, it’s easiest to get a card covering both those zones. (A cheaper way: get a zone 2 card, and use the bus not the tube to get into zone 1 as needed.)
|Place||Events||Address and Postcode||Nearest tube|
|Goldsmiths Digital Studios||Workshops||Goldsmiths College, New Cross, SE14 6NW||New Cross,
New Cross Gate
|Bar&co||Live algorithms concert||Temple Pier, Victoria Embankment, WC2R 2PN||Temple|
|City Arts & Music Project||Livecode evening||70–74 City Rd, EC1Y 2BJ||Old Street|
|Queen Mary University of London||Conference (Arts Lecture Theatre, Arts Building)||Mile End Road, E1 4NS
|The Art Pavilion||Exhibition||Mile End Park, E3 4QY||Mile End|
|City University||Concert||Northampton Square, EC1V 0HB||Barbican,
|Corsica Studios||SuperCollider Club||4/5 Elephant Road, SE17 1LB||Elephant & Castle|
Map showing venues and some accommodation:
View sc2012 locations in a larger map